First Assignment- Blog to new students- 2019


Trust me, you are in good hands.

Author: vdshah1@myseneca.ca




I still remember the date when I entered Seneca college for the very first time as a new student and the date was 07/01/2019. I was just as excited and nervous as you guys are now probably before attending the college for the very first time and these feelings are justifiable as you would be entering a whole new world and if you are an international student (I’m an international student too) it’s a completely different experience from our conventional colleges which we have attended in our respective countries. On the very first day, you are greeted by the lovely Seneca staff members who are part of Seneca student federation and they are the reason why the transition to Seneca college for all the new students becomes easier. So, trust me, you are in good hands by choosing Seneca for your studies.

Now I understand, each one of you comes from a different background, be it educational, work, or religious due to which the first day of college might seem too overwhelming to you, it was overwhelming for me too. I remember speaking to few of my friends from the same course about this and they all had the same feeling on the first day of college. Some of my friends, including me worked for 2-4 years straight back in our respective countries and then we left our jobs to come study here as we wanted to enhance the knowledge we already have. However, it was difficult for us to leave our family and the country we grew up in and start a new life in Canada, but it was only a matter of time as we all met so many new people coming from similar backgrounds and we found solace and comfort in each other due to which clearing the first semester was like a cake walk.

But you cannot really expect to form a group on the first day itself, that’s when the college orientation comes into picture which happens two or three days before the actual classes start (I met so many of my friends during the orientation). The staff members at Seneca discussed everything under the roof which a new student would require for their easy transition to the college and the country (if you are an international student) and the tips given by them helps me even now.

During the orientation, they discuss about the various services provided to the students in the campus like the student insurance, student discounts, library services, IT services, shuttle services which makes you feel like you made the right decision about choosing this college. Apart from the services, they also discuss about the various facilities which they have in each of the campuses like gymnasium, the kickback room (my favorite place) where you could just sit with your friends and discuss about your day or the assignments which you have to complete (to be honest, people mostly discuss about the assignments) or just play some games in the kick-back area- they have games like foosball (again my favorite), PS3-PS4, table tennis and some arcade games, all that is missing is a snooker table which I’m pretty sure will be installed soon in the kickback area. They also have a lovely cafeteria to make sure you don’t stay hungry in between classes. One thing is for sure, you will fall in love with the campus and the facilities provided on the very first day itself.

Okay now let’s talk about some serious stuff, because its not all fun and games at Seneca. Apart from the facilities and the services, Seneca is also known for its quality of education which is one of the best in this country. So, it’s only natural that the professors in this college expect us to excel in all the subjects and to complete the assignments on time. Completing the assignments before the deadline and following the guidelines to complete the assignments is something which a lot of students struggle with. I remember struggling with my assignments during the first few days of my classes as it was all new to me and there were so many questions in my head regarding the assignments. But with constant support from both the professors and my mentors, I was able to complete my assignments on time and I still do.

I would like to share a few tips with you guys regarding the assignments:
  • 1.  Make sure you go through all the details of the assignment requirements at least twice to understand it correctly
  • 2.      Do get in touch with your professors during the class, after the class or via email, text to get some clarity on the assignments
  • 3.      Waste no time to start the research for your assignment, I would advise you to start the research at least a week in advance for your assignment so that you are ready with your assignment much before the due date
  • 4.      Do make use of the Seneca library which has so many books for us to refer for our assignments.
I would also suggest you guys to ask for a mentor from the same course who can help you with so many things (including tips on how to complete the assignments). These mentors would usually be your seniors from the same course and they will be guiding you with the course related information till the time you complete your course (how awesome is that!). 


You could register for a mentor through Seneca’s SMILE or “Student Mentoring in Life and Education” (Para 1: What is smile mentoring) program and the college will be assigning you with a mentor even before your classes start. Trust me! This is very useful especially for the new students, I still take guidance from my mentor every now and then.


So, this is all I had to say to all of you. I hope you will find this read insightful and useful.
Once again, trust me, you guys are in good hands as the future is here. Right here and Right now.

Congratulations and good luck!

References:

Paragraph 1: What is SMILE Mentoring? - SMILE or “Student Mentoring in Life and Education



                                      ----You have now reached the end of the blog----

Comments