Weekly assignment- Week 2- Online Lesson Plan Task: Writing For an Audience & Purpose

This post is to apply my writing skills by coming up with a topic, deciding the audience, main point of this my topic and the purpose of this topic.

Topic: Starting a new life in Canada

Audience: Students applying for colleges in Canada

Main point: Initial days are difficult

Purpose: To instruct the students and give them tips and guidance for their easy transitioning to Canada.


Source: https://pixabay.com/en/canada-hand-flag-country-pride-649858/

Starting a new life in Canada:

Congratulations to all those people who have successfully secured an admission in one of the colleges in Canada. Deciding to study in Canada is the best decision you could make as the quality of the education provided here is going to reap benefits in future.

As many of you, even I have decided to study in Canada and I have secured an admission in Seneca college for a two-year diploma in creative advertising. This college is in Toronto and the campus is in Markham. I chose this course because it’s an interesting course and there are a lot of opportunities in the field of advertising in Canada.

Now I understand that a lot of you still have doubts about moving to Canada after securing an admission as you will be starting a new life in one of the coldest countries in the world and I don’t blame you as I had my doubts too. I wasn’t even sure about moving to Canada after I got admission till a month before I moved to Canada. But now I’m in Canada and its been close to three weeks since I’m in Canada and I’m loving every bit (I’ve come to terms with the weather too here). I wouldn’t lie to you guys, but the initial 3-4 days would be difficult especially if your intake starts in winter as you are new to the country and you must figure out so many things before your college starts like figuring out the transport, finding a part time Job, planning your schedules and the most important thing is the food. I know this sounds overwhelming but trust me in about two weeks’ time you will figure out everything and you will start liking your new life in Canada. Well, the winters are quite harsh in Canada and I have been told the winters here in Canada last till April, but you will get used to that too. I’m used to it now.

Okay now let’s talk about the two most important tips which will help you in easy transitioning to Canada:

Tip no 1:

The first and foremost important thing you need to need to learn before coming to Canada is how to cook especially if you are coming here as a student. Things are quite expensive in Canada, so you cannot really afford to eat outside everyday and is not good for health either. There is an option to buy frozen food, but I would recommend that only in case of emergencies as buying frozen food becomes costly too if you are buying it frequently and again its not a healthy option either. So, do learn how to cook and with some simples dishes up your sleeve you do not have to worry much about food in Canada, there are grocery stores almost everywhere

Tip no 2:

One more challenge a lot of international student’s face is finding an accommodation in Canada which is not that far from their colleges. I was worried about this too. But I came across this great website called Kijiji (Source: https://www.kijiji.ca/) through which I found my accommodation before coming to Canada. The key to find an accommodation through this website is to start going through the listings at least a month in advance and contacting the owners right away once you find the desired accommodation. This will help you save a lot of time after coming to Canada and focus on other challenges which lay ahead after landing here. Since you will be coming here as a student, I would recommend you guys to find a room for which the rent doesn’t go beyond 500 CAD, this way you will be saving a lot of money. The website is easy to use, and you have the option to filter your search results based on the location and rent you are willing to pay.

Additional tip:

I’m pretty sure, a lot of you would’ve done your research on the weather conditions here in Canada during winters and trust me the winter in Canada is no joke. Just the other day, we experience a temperature of -23 degree Celsius and you could only imagine how cold that is. So the key to survive Canada winters is to layer up completely whenever you step out and starting a diet which is rich in proteins and carbohydrates which will make sure your body stays warm and you do not fall sick in these weather conditions.
So, I hope you find these tips helpful in your transition to Canada and once again congratulations on deciding to start a new life here. Your life is going to change for good as you are halfway there.


----You have now reached the end of the blog----


Comments